Saturday, January 2, 2010

Felting Can Be a Little Addictive


Okay, I haven't been able to stop felting after my super fun New Year's Crafternoon session.

This morning, when my friend Jane came by with a super-adorable-cute Japanese book on needle felting little critters, I knew I had to try it.

You can get the general idea of the technique from the book, even though it's in Japanese (with lots of helpful photographs). You make a little wire armature first, then wrap wool roving around the body parts, letting the ends be all wispy so that your little animal doesn't end up with seams.

Once you've played around with it a bit, needle felting isn't all that hard. You just have to mess around a bit. And trust that you WILL get occasionally poked with those super sharp needles, but with all that cuteness, it's totally worth it.


You know, I think that my projects work better if I just dive in and DO IT, instead of dithering about getting everything perfect before I start. Otherwise, I'll never get started.

Okay, so my kitty's a little on the longish side -- kind of like a feline Daschund (I squished him in a little, but he still wants to elongate) -- but still... HE'S SO CUTE!

1 comment:

Laura said...

OMG!! It's soooooo sweeeeeet! I want one too!!!