Thursday, June 19, 2008

A Tragedy at Kinkos


I almost burst into tears at Kinkos today.


My customer and I finalized her turquoise wedding thank you notes, payment was all taken care of and I spent my entire evening printing out her cards, 125 of them, on both sides.


I used my new printer, all went quite well. No mishaps with upside-down printing. No jam ups, all went fine. We even watched a movie (Dan in Real Life, which I enjoyed more than I thought I would -- I really love Steve Carrell) while this was happening with me popping up occasionally to feed the thing extra cardstock.


When they were completed, I decided to make a dash to Kinkos on the spot to get them cut (at a dollar a cut, I'd rather let them use their machine than have me wear out my exacto knife (and right hand) on 125 x 4 cuts for all those invites).


The young man who helped me gave me an extra cut for free -- cutting my 125 lovely cards right in half!


Oh, it was tragic!


The manager came right over to try to smooth things out, but obviously, they could not really reimburse me for my time or my lost evening. He did offer to reprint the pieces at his cost on their own paper, but I wouldn't have been happy with the quality of the laser printer (with a slight gloss and faint lines streaking throughout), so decided to run back home and reprint them.


He has offered to reimburse for my paper and, partly, for some of my inkjet cartridges and asked that I bring in a receipt for that. Luckily, I have been saving these as business expenses.


Anyway, the young man who was helping and made the inadvertent error looked so very contrite and seemed since in his "I'm really sorry" that I assured him that "accidents happen" (but I was still so upset I couldn't quite look him in the eye).


So, the reprint is going on right now! I'm sure that I've had some extra practice in this already and it will likely go quite well.


Okay, I feel a lot better already for writing about this.


Phew!


I'll still get these cards out by the weekend. These 125 cards are my biggest order to date and I'm so very pleased with how they came out!


And, sometime very soon in the future, I'm sure I'll be able to look back and laugh at this silly little mishap!

No comments: