Friday, May 14, 2010

Record Invitation


My in-laws will be celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary this fall.

!!!!

They want to go back to the church to renew their vows (which they refer to as "returning to the scene of the crime"), which makes me a little weepy with sentimentality every time I think about it. They've been through a lot over the years and to think that they want to stand up in front of everybody and vow that they'd do it all over again... it makes me realize how special they are.

Of course, I've jumped on the chance to do the invitations.

We're talking about playing the music of their past at the reception and I'd love to do period appetizers (devilled eggs, shrimp cocktail, ramaki -- I may have to encase something in jello).

To fit with the period feel of the rest of the celebration, I'd love to do a spinning record invitation, that looks like an old time 45. It was sparked by this clever invitation, that my friend Carol, of Extreme Cards sent to me:


Isn't it lovely? Check out this link to read more about this beautiful wedding.

Here's the initial proof -- I think it turned out pretty good! Now I'm working on a fake record album cover to slip it into...



Man I love doing what I do!

9 comments:

M. B. Karger said...

This is SO COOL! Love it, Molly! As always, your end product is amazingly polished and inviting. Well done!

Genevieve said...

Sooooooooo awesome! The record is one of my favorite pieces yet!

Gen

Handmade in Israel said...

Molly, it looks great already! I love, love, love each and every new piece you come up with! The party sounds amazing.

Unknown said...

These are SO fun! You make a disposable item something everyone would want to keep. Another great design!

lwdlbrn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
lwdlbrn said...

I am planning a Surprise 13th "Elvis" birthday party for my daughter. This is exactly the invitation I would love to send out. Any chance you could share how you made it. Incredible!!!!!

Molly said...

lwdlbrn,
Thanks for the very nice comment!

These invites, like all my cards, were done in Adobe Illustrator. Unless you have that software (or something that can open up Illustrator files), I don't think we'll be able to share files.
The very low-tech solution would be to layer two circles on top of each other (the one on top slightly smaller and with a window cut out of it) and attach them with a brad in the middle, then write your message in the window and around the edges... contact me for more explanation! This is too much info for a comment....

Avantika said...

Hi molly, it quite a coincidence how i saw the the same invite (treerings) and i too decided to make it a record invite. I like the way you have fabricated the whole thing. Have you used a thiker card on top ? and could u possibly send me your files on avantikapoddar@gmail.com, it would be of great help.i have adobe illustrator so no problem

Anonymous said...

If anyone could send me the illustrator file I would be so gratefull. My best friend wants to do a save the date like this. It a 50's theme wedding. Please if anyone has it send it to adriane@libertyharbor.com

Thank u so much and Molly u are very talented!