Monday, June 15, 2009

Crafty Space Makeover Budget Recap

So I started my Crafty Space Makeover Challenge a little more than a week ago with a target budget of $100.

Frankly, I don't know if I'm going to make it or not. But I'll try!

This is the damage so far:

Bookcase $10
Wooden Tray $4
In/Out Trays $8
Spray Paint $17 (so far)
Candy Dish $3
Picnic Basket $6
Cutting Mat
(for portable craft kit) $6
Adhesive strips
(to stick up my corkboard $3
Magazine Holder $3

Total (so far) $60

Not too bad...

I'm so pleased that many of my "improvements" have cost me very little (or nothing when I can reuse something that I already have).

Surprises? The cost for spray paint really adds up quickly! It's only about $3.50 a can, but it does get used up. I used just about an entire can just doing my in/out trays and portable crafting kit tray, so I have to factor in that amount when I'm weighing the cost of buying something and refurbishing it vs. the price of buying something ready to go as is.

Honestly, though, I don't shop at Goodwill just because I'm super cheap (although this is certainly true). I also shop there because I feel like I can pick up unique items with more character (though with perhaps a little bit of work) than I can from a place that mass produces them.

I still have a few more challenges to handle for this makeover that will probably need some purchases (like how to deal with my files, but I have a couple of ideas....) but I'm really happy with the results so far!

No comments: